This AM I was forced to go to a training class in Punta Gorda held outside
at Gilchrest Park. While there is litle to offer in the way of vegetation,
there was a decent little flight of birds trickling through. More than
enough to keep me distracted from the task at hand. Gilchrest sits just on
the south side of Charlotte Harbor, and after today I suspect it could be a
good spot to do an impromptu hawk watch when Austin wants to hit a good
playground. In the course of the morning I had at least 3 Sharp-shinneds, a
Cooper's Hawk, 2 Kestrels, and a Merlin come in off the water while sitting
in a class un-binoculared. I don't suspect that the site would ever produce
big numbers, but there is no vegetation to block views so I imagine if
looking I scanning I would have seen much more. Of note locally, the Palm
Warblers were in, and I saw my first Phoebe of the fall as well.

Good Birding,

Jeff Bouton
Port Charlotte, FL