I have been watching the posts on Wilson's Warblers come through and I'm
completely STUNNED that there has been no mention of subspecies!!  Yes,
under good viewing conditions the subspecies are identifiable in the field,
and this is a golden opportunity to look for pileolata from the west,
especially along the west coast of Florida. With good views look for strong
olive tones on the face and underparts of the nominate pusilla (eastern
race) and underparts less intense yellow.  Female pusilla will often show
dark on the forecrown, something pileolata rarely shows.  There are several
good references on Warbler ID and I recommend looking through Garrett and
Dunn's Warblers for a thorough discussion of the subspecies.

Unfortunately I haven't seen any of the Wilson's this fall, but if I do I
will try to get photos to the FLORIDA BIRDS website.  If any of you
photographers out there have any photos of this year's Wilson's, I would
love to post the photos to the website for what would certainly be a good
discussion on subspecies ID.

Stevenson and Anderson's Birdlife of Florida mention a couple of possible
pileolata records in winter, but nothing confirmed. With the influx of
Western Tanagers, and the invasion of Wilson's farther west, my instincts
tell me there is a first state record of pileolata out there just waiting to
be confirmed.

Good birding, or should I say "Good subspecies-ing"

Kurt Radamaker
Orlando FL
http://www.javaswift.com/floridabirds