Yesterday, Gail Menk, Sally Jue, Dean Jue, and I trekked west to the Ft.
Walton Beach Spray Field. We found most of the good birds reported there
recently.

Highlights (each seen by at least two of us, usually all four) included:
SCISSOR-TAILED FLYCATCHER - 2, one with a moderately long tail, the other
with a shorter tail, both washed with salmon color underneath
VERMILLION FLYCATCHER - 1 immature male, bright red belly
DICKCISSEL - 1, flushed from the fence around the tank (pool, pond, or
whatever these artificial bodies of water are called), it circled twice
overhead before flying east
WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW - 1 immature, along the same fence
CLAY-COLORED SPARROW - 1, along the eastern boundary of the spray field
(with many Indigo Buntings)
PEREGRINE FALCON - 1 dark immature, on the powerline just outside the
northern boundary
COOPER'S HAWK - 1, flew across Roberts Blvd. from the eastern boundary
N. HARRIER - 1
EARED GREBE - 1
WILSON'S WARBLER (of course) - 1, along the eastern boundary

other Warblers:
NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH - 2, one IN the corral along Roberts Blvd.
BLACK-THROATED GREEN - 3
YELLOW - 2
YELLOW-THROATED - 1
MAGNOLIA - 9
CHESTNUT-SIDED - 1
TENNESSEE - 4
AMERICAN REDSTART - 3
YELLOW-RUMPED - 5
COMMON YELLOWTHROAT - 8
PALM - many, like the Indigos they were everywhere

About the only target bird we didn't find was Lark Sparrow (no Cassin's
Kingbird either, but we didn't really expect to see that). Since it was
Sunday, the landfill gate was closed and we weren't able to get back to the
Sparrow Walk. Nevertheless, a great day!

David Harder
Tallahassee, FL