All,

Given my wife has a pneumonia, I took Austin out on an adventure yesterday.
We opted to head for Lakes Park to see if the sparrow was still around. No
luck there, but toward the end of our 2 hours in the Fragrance Garden, I got
4 clear views of a female/immature type Selasphorus Hummingbird. I heard it
first "screaming" at a Ruby-throated. A high-pitched buzzy note  reminiscent
of the tail end of a Western Sandpipers song, only higher.... (sort of a
buzzy (squeaky even) scheeeeew). At any rate, I swung around and saw a
ruddy-sided, rufous-tailed hummer which returned to the same snag 4x in a 5
minute period.

The snag is at the very south end of the Cactus garden. If you are standing
at the south end of the circular path and look south down the trail the tree
sits just to the left of the trail where it bends back to the right to meet
the main path. It has yellowish leaves. Huh?!?..... I even know what I'm
trying to say and have problems with that one! ;) I was unable to stay and
get real detailed views as Austin had already real great for about two hours
at this point and had been promised ice cream and the playground. So off we
went.

I don't know if this was a new arrival or not, but I doubt it. The mix of
what I saw was about the same as had been reported two days prior in smaller
numbers. (eg. there was still a very dark-winged Scarlet Tanager and
Swainson's Thrush in the thick Ficus (I believe) along the center path just
south of the Cactus Garden, there were a few House Wrens, 1 Parula, numerous
Prairies and Palms, and many Blue-grays.) I saw at least 4 Hummingbirds at
once one of these was the Selasphorus. Maybe one of the locals will have
more luck viewing this guy. Always tough with an anxious 2 year old tugging
on your pant leg!

Good birding,

Jeff Bouton
Port Charlotte, FL