        i spent the afternoon with the bloodsuckers at longleaf road. i didn't
bird up to full potential. even with a rambo mosquito net hood, and long
sleeves, i was devoured and distracted.
        one particularly good spot was on the low trail, within a few hundred feet
of the dead end. there was literally a flock of about 20 thrushes in the
treetops, chasing one another. i guess there's a virginia creeper or black
gum fruiting nearby, but i couldn't find it. of those that stopped long
enough in the open, most were gray-cheeked.
        i had one philadelphia vireo on the high trail down by the boat landing,
where the cut-across joins the high and low trails. good luck finding it. i
saw a bird fly in, then nothing. i watched for at least a minute before i
saw a leaf wiggle. it moved methodically, and without much disturbance. it
was foraging by itself, not even a chickadee nearby.
        i also saw my first orange-crowned of the season, a very dull bird. the
phoebe was also my first of the season, but i'm sure they've been here for
a few days anyway.

Eastern Wood-Pewee              1
Acadian Flycatcher              1
Eastern Phoebe          1