A good rain that started late last evening gave some promise for a spurt of bird activity at Turkey Creek.  However, it started raining again as soon as we arrived and continued most of the morning.  Late in the morning the rain finally stopped and we walked out into the meadow just past the Hackberry trees near the pump house.  We stood in one spot for about 1/2 hour watching the amazing amount of bird activity that swirled around us.  Most interesting was our male Wilson's Warbler.  After most of the warblers left the hammock and Hackberries several days ago, he was seen in his favorite tree about 2 more days, then he was gone or so we thought --- we just hadn't looked in the right place.  The meadow is a short distance (100 yards) from his favorite tree -- he now has a new group of friends.  He was doing lots of chipping in his raspy voice and once came up out of the tall weeds and perched on top of the chain-link fence surrounding the pump house.

Birds seen in the  meadow:

Wilson's Warbler (male) - day 15
Common Yellowthroat - 1
Ovenbird - 1
Waterthrush sp. - 1 (heard by the creek next to the meadow)
Yellow-Throated Warbler - 1
Blue Grosbeak - 2
Indigo Bunting (many)
House Wren (several)
Catbird (lots)
BGG (several)
Brown Thrasher - 1
Cardinal (several)
Mockingbird
Kestrel - 2
Sharp-Shinned Hawk - 1
Red Shouldered Hawk - 1
White-Eyed Vireo - 3

On the way out of the park we saw Pine Warbler, Redstart, and Ruby-Throated Hummingbird.  Just before we left we walked a short distance into the hammock.  It was still dark and dripping from the rain with no obvious warbler activity.

Shirley and Bill Hills
Melbourne Village