From: Laura Symons [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, October 16, 2000 5:55 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: tutoring research

Research in tutoring effectiveness seems to have multiple problems, the most
knotty being that few people in developmental education are willing to
sacrifice students who need tutoring to be a "control group" and deny them
tutoring or the kind of tutoring the researcher hopes to prove more
effective.
Does anyone know of articles that deal with problems and solutions facing
research in developmental education in general and tutorng in specific?
I've
heard Jan Norton speak eloquently about the subject but I'm not aware of any
writing on it.  And finally, if there aren't articles on the problem (and
solutions I can only hope!) is there anyone who would be interested in
writing
one?  I'd love to include one in the JNTA (Jan, you _knew_ this was coming!)

Laura Symons