One answer to the experimental group/control group conundrum is to expand
our knowledge of applied research strategies. We are used to, and
comfortable with, quantitative analysis; but qualitative research is also a
valid strategy, and in the case of tutoring, much more readily applicable.
Dr. Nancy L. Diekelmann, professor and prolific researcher/writer at the
University of Wisconsin, is a leader in using "stories" told by patients as
the data in nursing research.  She spoke here for an in-service and was
extremely motivating.  Much of her theory could apply just as readily to
students receiving tutoring.  I was already practicing eliciting input from
students I tutor, but now I am formally collecting it and can cite it as
data for evaluations, research and publication.

You may not be able to prove what a student would have achieved had s/he not
received tutoring, but you certainly can record and analyze what students
THINK they are achieving when they do receive tutoring--and what have we all
heard about perception?  Have each tutee respond to a 10-second
questionnaire at the end of the session:  What did you do today?  What did
you hope to achieve?  Did you meet your goal?   If you have patient
students, make it longer.  Ask them to report back by intercampus or email
to let you know if they did well on something they worked on--a paper or a
test.  They all won't respond, but some will. Record the responses. Do
follow-up with questionnaires, and see if they apply what they learned in
the future.  That gives you qualitative data that can generate reports that
reflect the level of student participation, satisfaction, and application
from the viewpoint of the subjects themselves.  Our research professor's
dissertation research project was totally self-reported data from arthritis
sufferers.  She now has her Ph.D. Expanding our research horizons can help
us personally and as a profession.

Linda Riggs Mayfield, MA
Associate Faculty for Academic Enhancement

       Blessing-Rieman College of Nursing
Quincy, IL 62305-7005