From: Heather Newburg [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, October 17, 2000 1:50 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Software for self-paced, computer-based learning lab

Greetings LRNASSTers!

A question for those of you who have self-paced, individualized,
skills-development computer labs at your institutions as an option for
developmental education courses....

Our institution in investigating the possibility of creating a computer lab
for students who need preparatory coursework or "refreshers" in
developmental reading, English, or math.  Currently, we offer developmental
education courses that do not earn credit toward graduation.  Some students
who are "borderline" resent having to sit through a 3-credit course in
English, or cruise through the 1-credit math modules for "no credit."  We
have heard of institutions that offer options to students testing into
developmental courses: the students can 1) take a course (and pay tuition)
or 2) use the self-paced (computer-based) learning lab to develop the
necessary skills needed for freshmen-level courses.

For those of you who have these types of labs, what software packages do you
use and why?  Do you find that the students can actually sit down at the
computer and learn the material without an instructor?  I am familiar with
PLATO and have contacted McGraw-Hill about their software, but I'm
interested in learning about other packages that have been "tried and true"
in the area of higher ed developmental ed...

Please reply off-line to Heather (Newburg) Ferguson at [log in to unmask]

Thanks-

Heather (Newburg) Ferguson
NCLCA Membership Secretary
Learning Center Director/