We are a small college with @800 students.  At midterms we run a deficiency
list for students with Ds or lower.  At that time the Learning Resource Center
tries to touch base with those students via e-mail or telephone calls.  This
hopefully helps students before they get on probation.  We have some statisticalevidence that our probation list has dropped from 7% of our students to 5% of
our students.
        After a student is on probation, the College takes a number of steps:
(1) that student is only allowed to take 13 credits the semester following beingplaced on probation
(2)   If the student has not previously taken a study skills course, they must
take the study skills course.

I hope this helps.