Can you be more specific about the title and publisher of the text and
perhaps something about the videos, too.  I would be very interested in
replicating this assignment.  THank you.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeanne Higbee [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: October 04, 2000 11:02 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: inferences, too

--------------A860FC4CA50EC088E1439ED6

If I remember correctly, John Chaffee has quite a bit of material covering
this
topic in Thinking Critically.  One of the exercises provides 5 different
reporters' (from very diverse international publications) accounts of what
happened at Tieneman (sp?) Square.  Students are to try to weed out the
"facts."  Our current freshmen do not necessarily know much about this
incident, so it also helps educate them about the experiences of college
students in other parts of the world.

I used Chaffee's book as the text for one of the courses I developed at the
University of Georgia, and found that it had much to offer, though I
supplemented freely with other exercises, films, etc.  One film series I
used
gave 2 historians' opposing accounts of the Vietnam War, using the same
photographs, but with different text.

Jeanne Higbee
University of Minnesota

KATHLEEN RIEHLE wrote:

> --=====================_9106771==_.ALT
>
> Hi group,
>
> Along with our discussion of inferences, I would like to find some
> resources that discuss inference types. The Journal of Reading ( pp.
> 564-565, 1993) includes an article that reports on a effective strategy
for
> teaching inferential comprehension but fails to explain the differing
> inference types. Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Katy
> --=====================_9106771==_.ALT

> Hi group, <br>
> Along with our discussion of inferences, I would like to find some
> resources that discuss inference types. <i>The Journal of Reading </i>(
> pp. 564-565, 1993) includes an article that reports on a effective
> strategy for teaching inferential comprehension but fails to explain the
> differing inference types. Any ideas?<br>
> Thanks, <br>
> Katy</html>
>
> --=====================_9106771==_.ALT--

Click here for Free Video!!
http://www.gohip.com/freevideo/

--------------A860FC4CA50EC088E1439ED6

If I remember correctly, John Chaffee has quite a bit of material covering
this topic in <u>Thinking Critically</u>.&nbsp; One of the exercises
provides
5 different reporters' (from very diverse international publications)
accounts
of what happened at Tieneman (sp?) Square.&nbsp; Students are to try to
weed out the "facts."&nbsp; Our current freshmen do not necessarily know
much about this incident, so it also helps educate them about the
experiences
of college students in other parts of the world.
at the University of Georgia, and found that it had much to offer, though
I supplemented freely with other exercises, films, etc.&nbsp; One film
series I used gave 2 historians' opposing accounts of the Vietnam War,
using the same photographs, but with different text.
for
&lt;/i>(
the

HREF="http://www.gohip.com/freevideo/">http://www.gohip.com/freevideo/</A>