Polly,

Hope this helps...

> Do you have a tutoring center, [NO]
> or have a coordinator who connects students and tutors, or what else?
[Yes, our student services/student activities person connects students to
peer tutors. We also have a formal Reading Lab, Math Lab, and Writing Lab
all of which are staffed by full and part-time professionals.]

> How do you assess need for tutoring, if you do? [An instructor can make a
recommendation, or a student can walk in and ask for help.]

> How is your center funded : operating budget, student fees, etc, etc
> if TRIO-funded, what do you do about non-TRIO students [Peer tutors are
paid through student activities fees, that's why the tutors are placed with
the students through the student activities offices. All three labs are part
of the Humanities/Learning Support division and funded through that area.]

> Do you charge students for tutoring?  [NO] if so,how do you handle it?
>
> What are your limits on tutoring, if any [NONE]
>
> Do you use peer tutors or outsiders or both
> How much do you pay them, or do you? [Peer tutors are paid $7 an hour.]
>
> What does the center [or person] do that you would want to pass on to
> others? [Nothing really. I am dissatisfied, as are others, with the
current way our tutoring program works.]

> What, if anything, did you try, and then promise yourself you
> would never do again? [I am not part of the peer tutoring program, though
we do tutoring int he labs.]

Roseanna Almaee, Director
Darton College Writing Lab
Regents' Prep/ Registration
2400 Gillionville Road
Albany, GA 31707
(229) 430-6880
"Pay it forward!! Do something sacrificial, help someone in need, and
take no reward! Have that person pay you back by paying it forward to
someone else!" from _Pay It Forward_ by Catherine Ryan Hyde