From: Carolyn DeLorme [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, October 27, 2000 9:42 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Social Sciences Tutoring

Larry,
We see both situations.  When we offered tutoring for social science
courses, we had very little reponse to utilizing those tutors.  We dropped
funding for those areas and concentrated on courses with higher numbers of
students requesting assistance.  Those individuals that come into our
program need help with how to more effectively and efficiently prepare for
social science classes (study skills).  However, the social science programs
offer their own resource centers where students come to get help with course
concepts.  For example, some individuals find it very difficult to
understand the idea of "conditioned responses" and other related psychology
concepts.

Carolyn DeLorme, Director
University Learning Center
University of North Dakota
P.O. Box 7124
Grand Forks, ND  58202
Office:  (701)777-4406
FAX:  (701)777-3397

>>> Larry Arrington <[log in to unmask]> 10/27/00 08:33AM >>>
I'd like to know if there are any strong opinions or observations regarding
the need / usefulness of Social Sciences tutors (Psych, Soc, Hist, etc.) in
a college learning center environment.  It seems that some people believe
that assistance for students in these courses is mainly study skills /
writing related vs. actual content area....while others feel that the
material / concepts need to be addressed for some students.

Larry Arrington
Director of Learning Assistance Lab
MCCC - Blue Bell, PA