We read 3 non-fiction books in our College Reading class.  We all read the
same books, and the class votes on the third book.  The students choose the
third book from a list I describe on a handout.  Students are free to
suggest other non-fiction books for us to vote on as well as those from the
list.  The students have voted to read Alive, which was suggested by a
student, in the past.  This semester they voted to read The Perfect Storm,
though I don't think they are entirely happy with the choice.  We always
read The Hot Zone and Night.  In past semesters we have read Having Our
Say, Into Thin Air, Hiroshima (twice), Winterdance (Gary Paulsen), and
Never Cry Wolf.  We have yet to find a book the students liked better than
The Hot Zone or Night.

I don't know if you can do this sort of thing, but I have found it very
successful.

At 08:45 PM 10/31/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>I teach a developmental reading course at a small community college and have
>my students read 2 novels each semester.  The class reading level is grade 9
>through 12.  If I allow students to choose, I find they choose novels they
>read (or were supposed to have read) in high school.  Any suggestions?
>Thanks.
>Karen O'D.

Linda Johnson

Iowa City, Iowa