I require that my students obtain an email account.  They can get one free
from the campus or they can use what ever carrier they have.  I pose
questions at the end of each class session.  The questions are of an
application nature and are related to the topic for the class.  Students
are required to email me a response.  I then engage them in an email
discussion.  This takes some time but I feel it is worth it.  We establish
a relationship.  I see their writing and hear their ideas.  I find that
some students come alive online who do not participate much in class.

Caron Mellblom Ed.D.