We don't require students to have a signature. We like to have a welcoming
atmosphere. We want struggling and top students to come to see us. A
signature would make our learning center seem too remedial; even students
who need us the most would try to avoid coming. Requiring a signature also
seems demeaning to the staff at your center.

feel they can At 08:54 AM 10/10/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>When I started my job as Tutor Coordinator at Frederick Community College,
I inherited a system where students who wanted 1:1 tutoring are required to
first get their instructor's written permission. The reasons given for this
were that:
>1. instructors could insure that students were first using department
resources such as office hours
>2. students could not use tutoring as a substitute for attending class
>3. staff could "distinguish those students who are truly in need of
tutorial services" as the tutoring budget was not bottomless

>I am taking this issue to our advisory board as I would like to remove
this stipulation for various reasons. I would welcome any feedback on the
pros/cons of asking for instructor's signatures. Do any other colleges
require this for 1:1 tutoring? We don't require signatures for drop-in or
online tutoring.