Here at University of Idaho when we did do individual tutoring, it was
suggested that we get an instructor's signature and information about the
student's attendance, etc. as a condition of tutoring.  It was decided
here that that process violated the conditions of privacy under
FERPA.  This extended to information that the instructor might request
about the student's tutoring process as well.  Our interpretation was that
we would have to have signed permission by each student.  That was
definitely too much hassle as well as making the "help and
caring" atmosphere that we wanted as a student academic service center
seem false.

As an aside, we now do not do individual tutoring unless the student is
LD, has special needs or is very much behind others seeking help.  We do
small group tutoring (5 per/group) which we feel makes the students more
likely to participate in the tutoring process and provides them with
four other sources of potential help outside of the tutoring appointment.

        "You can accomplish a lot if you don't care
         who gets credit for it."    Myles Horton

Frankie Craig-Yockey
Assistant Director
Tutoring & Academic Assistance Center
University of Idaho