We used to require this for similar reasons listed.  We dropped the
requirement at the request of the faculty.  The faculty complained that
students who requested their signatures did not want the faculty's help and
were often rude to the faculty member.  Further, the faculty didn't want to
be responsible for determining who needed help and who didn't.  I would
suggest you poll your faculty to see what they wish.
Katherine Lovrich, Coordinator
Learning Assistance Programs
Washington State University

At 08:54 AM 10/10/00 -0400, you wrote:
>When I started my job as Tutor Coordinator at Frederick Community College,
I inherited a system where students who wanted 1:1 tutoring are required to
first get their instructor's written permission. The reasons given for this
were that:
>1. instructors could insure that students were first using department
resources such as office hours
>2. students could not use tutoring as a substitute for attending class
>3. staff could "distinguish those students who are truly in need of
tutorial services" as the tutoring budget was not bottomless

>I am taking this issue to our advisory board as I would like to remove
this stipulation for various reasons. I would welcome any feedback on the
pros/cons of asking for instructor's signatures. Do any other colleges
require this for 1:1 tutoring? We don't require signatures for drop-in or
online tutoring.