We have never required or even suggested that a student get a signature or
referral for our tutorial services. For us, concerns about privacy and
attitudes of some faculty outweigh any advantages the signature plan may
have. Tutors sometimes approach faculty as they seek ways to be up to date
on course content and other pointers an instructor can offer -- but the
tutor is instructed to not reveal the identity of any of the students with
whom they work. A student may be asked for their permission to be
identified when it seems it might be to their advantage. There are times
when a student is working with our program as a condition of a 'contract'
for extended probationary time, or reinstatement after dismissal, or is
appealing an academic action and of course we need to report information
about these students to the appropriate office or college.

Roger Child, Director
Student Support Services
(New Dimensions In Learning)
The University of Iowa