From: Annette Gourgey
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: 10/11/00 7:43 PM
Subject: Re: political endorsements

I would prefer to comment on political matters only when they relate to
educational issues, but something needs to be said here that is related
what we do.  The most troubling posts on the list lately have been ones
that
express a blanket, simple and derogatory opinion that doesn't allow for
complexities.  E.g., the one below--some people dodged the draft for
selfish
reasons; others did because of moral convictions against the war.  It is
not
all simple and self-serving and defined by one viewpoint.  (Nor is it
confined to Democrats--e.g. our current Republican ticket.)

I think our list is strongest when we are searching for understanding of
different views on issues.  What we have suffered from lately is people
letting off steam about grievances rather than seeking dialogue or
deeper
understanding of issues that are important to our work.  It seems that
if we
want to teach our students to listen and to weigh facts and issues and
not
just criticize on the basis of preconceived opinions, we could do better
at
heeding our own lesson.

I also find it troubling when one country or culture is consistently
held as
superior to others.  Most of us work in multicultural settings where we
need
to be open to the unique value of the many cultures our students
represent,
without judging people who are different from us.  Expressing such
judgments
works against what we are trying to accomplish with students.  We teach
what
we live.  Is this what we want to teach?  That *is* a part of our work!

Annette Gourgey