Date sent:              Wed, 11 Oct 2000 14:56:48 -0400
From:                   Lorraine Lavorata <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Re: political endorsements
To:                     [log in to unmask]
Send reply to:          Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals

 Yes but the facts must go both ways, not only on the side of the left. We
must look at all the facts on both the right and the left and give credence
to both sides as both sides have merit and faults. True, much of what is on
the Internet, is not the most scholarly, but as for me, I ignore most of
what I get on the Internet. I obtain my research from studies, journals,
personal experiences I have had in the political arena, and primary sources.
As educators we can voice our opinions but just because someone is a
Republican does not make them bad or evil. Just because of certain newspaper
articles in favour of Gore does not make him a man of principle no more than
the Internet makes Bush a man of principle. Also as for a personal note, I
do not feel dodging the Vietnam War is very honourable. As a person of
French background, we see fighting for one's country as we say in France
part of the concept of liberte, egalite et fraternite.
Sorry for the controversy but in higher education we must deal with
political differences in our teaching, with our students, with the
administration and with educational funding for our institutions. France