Date sent:              Fri, 13 Oct 2000 16:49:09 -0400
From:                   "Neuburger, Jane A." <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                tutoring research
To:                     [log in to unmask]
Send reply to:          Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals

Dear Linda:
Yes, this is what Maxwell has said, although it is rebutted somewhat by
Boylan, Bonham, Bliss and Saxon in "What We Know About Tutoring: Findings
from the National Study of Developmental Education", in Research in
Developmental Education 12.3, 1995, available from the National Center for
Developmental Education (828) 262-3057.

However, note that Maxwell did not say that tutoring does not help, only
that it has not been found to help.  Is this a call to research, then?  How
can we figure out if tutoring helps or not?  The findings on Supplemental
Instruction are strong, why not for tutoring?  I'd love to see a discussion
on what research models have been tried for tutoring, and what have been the
results of those projects?

For instance, I found that tutored students grades in a course were about
the same as non-tutored students' grades.  Does this mean that tutoring had
no impact, or does it mean that tutoing helped the weaker students achieve
grades comparable to their better-prepared peers?  Only additional work will
tell me this, but it's a first step.

Who else is working on this?

Jane Neuburger
NYCLSA President
Assistant Professor, Reading, Writing, Tutoring
Center for Teaching & Learning
Cazenovia College
Cazenovia, NY 13035
(315) 655-7206
(315) 655-2190 (fax)

"You cannot be a good theoretician, a good analyst,
without being a good practitioner.  If you are one or the
other, either something is wrong in your practice or
something is wrong in your theory."
                             --Julia Kristeva
Robin Redmon Wright
Director of the Academic Assistance and Resource Ctr.
Stephen F. Austin State University
(936)468-1463