If I remember correctly, John Chaffee has quite a bit of material covering this topic in Thinking Critically.  One of the exercises provides 5 different reporters' (from very diverse international publications) accounts of what happened at Tieneman (sp?) Square.  Students are to try to weed out the "facts."  Our current freshmen do not necessarily know much about this incident, so it also helps educate them about the experiences of college students in other parts of the world.

I used Chaffee's book as the text for one of the courses I developed at the University of Georgia, and found that it had much to offer, though I supplemented freely with other exercises, films, etc.  One film series I used gave 2 historians' opposing accounts of the Vietnam War, using the same photographs, but with different text.

Jeanne Higbee
University of Minnesota

KATHLEEN RIEHLE wrote:

--=====================_9106771==_.ALT

Hi group,

Along with our discussion of inferences, I would like to find some
resources that discuss inference types. The Journal of Reading ( pp.
564-565, 1993) includes an article that reports on a effective strategy for
teaching inferential comprehension but fails to explain the differing
inference types. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Katy
--=====================_9106771==_.ALT

Hi group, <br>
Along with our discussion of inferences, I would like to find some
resources that discuss inference types. <i>The Journal of Reading </i>(
pp. 564-565, 1993) includes an article that reports on a effective
strategy for teaching inferential comprehension but fails to explain the
differing inference types. Any ideas?<br>
Thanks, <br>
Katy</html>

Click here for Free Video!!
http://www.gohip.com/freevideo/