In a message dated 10/12/00 8:05:57 AM Central Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< We have been experimenting with the COMPASS Writing Placement Test and the
 COMPASS Writing Diagnostic Test to determine writing remediation needs of
 our incoming freshmen and transfer students. Our results do not seem to give
 us a true representation of our students' writing skills.

At Calumet College of St. Joseph we have found that the test doesn't serve
our needs. It measures student knowledge of grammar, mechanics, punctuation
and style (and probably a few more things I can't remember). Our student body
is mostly underprepared students and their average age is 35. Most of them
are too far removed from high school to remember this stuff. We give them a
writing sample as well to give us a better handle on their writing ability.
COMPASS does not test or diagnose writing ability!

Richard Damashek
Director of Academic Support Programs