Raymundo,

    I used to have fun teaching Plato's "Allegory of the Cave" to my basic
writing students.  That piece is rife with descriptions that allow visual
depiction -- drawings -- to show the plight of the audience, which can then be
related to society as a whole.  There are a few interprettions of the
protagonist -- the "philosopher", the "rotten apple", the "rebel", and each can
be explored within the context of the allegory.  Of course, there is much more
that has to go into the background work to help students interpret the piece --
a basic introduction to the concept of socialization, a basic introduction to
the concept of Idealism, etc.  All of this took me about three weeks, with the
classes meeting for three to five hours per week.  I didn't expect students to
write "scholarly" essays, but it was a wonderful way to introduce them to the
idea that information from many sources can be used to synthesize information
and critically analyze any work of literature.

Jim