We have three pieces of the distance learning environment: tutoring, study
skills web site and online reading and study skills classes.

Tutoring is staffed by the tutoring center - we use a web conferencing system
instead of individual email, which means that the messages are answered
publically, so all can see the information.  We do not contract out email
responsibilities.

On our Learning Center web page, there is a button to the studyweb site.
(http://studyweb.chemeketa.edu)

We do not have chat rooms per se, because this implies synchronous contact,
which is difficult for both student and tutor. However, our web conferencing
software DOES include a chat feature, so if student and tutor wanted to
communicate syncrhonously they could do so. As an online instructor, I use
this feature for office hours.  (Web conferencing software is WebBoard by
O'Reilly).

Paradise Valley Community College does have tutoring by discipline area. The
faculty have designed the web site and the tutors run it.

The licensing fees for computer tutorial software so far has been prohibitive
that we have not done this. Nor have we figured out the logistics. Instead we
offer online workshops and classes: developmental reading, study skills and
vocabulary.

Lucy MacDonald
Chemeketa Community College
http://bbs.chemeketa.edu to see Chemeketa Online
Salem, OR

If your
college has a distance learning tutoring process in place, I would
appreciate knowing how you handle distance learning requests for academic
tutoring.  Do the staff in your Learning Centers answer this e-mail?  Do you
contract out the e-mail responsibilities?  Do you have a tutoring help
button your web site that refers students to outside tutoring help?
(possible list of sites)  Do you have chat rooms for certain disciplines?
Can a distance learning student log on to your school's server(s) and access
computer tutorial programs that you have  purchased? Do you contract out
distance learning tutoring? Have you put into place any other solutions that
might be useful to me to take back to the committee?