At our center I am the DH for anything that is NOT math or science (bio/chem/physics), so I see most of the students who come in for classes such as history, social science, philosophy, art history, even geography and astronomy.
This is either the blessing or the curse of a good liberal arts background!

I'd say the problems are 50-50 on content and study skills.  The concept of  dependent and independent variables is very confusing for many, for instance.  In many classes such as these students lack background and have no frame of reference for the new material, so talking with a tutor about where this whole mess came from and how it fits in can be very helpful.  Then there are the study skills, like how to effectively read
that mammoth general psych textbook.

We have also very effectively placed peer mentors (our version of SI) in classes like these, particularly sociology.

Elizabeth Dewey
Delta College