When I watched the debate, I thought that Governor Bush was exhibiting some
of his "typical tangled-tongue, tongue-tied" problems when he made that
remark.  I think he probably meant to say something like, "At-risk students
have problems and need extra help/support."

I am defending the Governor (as a West Texan, not a Republican:  I'm voting
for Nader), but since I have talked to Laura Bush and she is strongly
supportive of early childhood education and interventions to help at-risk
and disabled learners, I am inclined to think that in the glare of the
spotlight and the pressure of being at the dais, Bush probably allowed some
words to come together that did not capture his real intentions.

I think it would be appropriate to write him and ask for clarification of
the issue, pointing out that such a comment is inconsistent with his
campaign slogan, "Leave no child behind."  When Don Garnett and I were
presidents of the Texas associations (TADE and TxCRLA, respectively) we
wrote the (then newly-elected) Governor and he responded in a very positive
and supportive manner concerning the work that our associations do in Texas.

IMHO,
Gail Platt