Two sources that discuss the "Curve of Forgetting" and "Massed
Study--Spaced Reviews" are Powerreading--Study Skills by Smith, Blake
and Pryce (who cite Stanton) and How to Study by Thomas F. Stanton.
Stanton claimed that you can retain information longer through spaced
reviews and the first review should be within 24 hours after material is
presented.  (The best, most beneficial review is completed at the end of
class.)  Stanton found that the greatest loss of information occcured
within one day.