Talk about inference and implication-the author implies and the reader infers.  Fact and opinion are a bit separate but related.  Get ahold of John Langan, -Ten Steps to Advancing College Reading Skills and gt some of his work.  Or, have students download an article from the Internet and pick out the facts and opinions, the implications that the
writer is making and have them draw conclusions about the implications.
Helen Sabin
Chair, Educational Leadership Department
Connected University, Classroom Connect