We have had such a program at The City University of New York.  I am no
longer involved with it so I don't know in what ways it may have evolved
over time.  I'll describe in general what it was several years ago when I
was involved as the program evaluator.  (Perhaps some CUNY lurkers on the
list can add specifics.)

The program offered remedial courses to any students who had failed one or
more basic skills proficiency tests, on an optional basis.  CUNY is totally
non-residential and many of our students are a few years older than
traditional freshmen, especially at the community colleges.  Classes were
around 15 people with in-class tutors assisting the instructor and met four
days a week, so the instruction could be more intensive to make up for the
shorter semester.  Faculty were encouraged to experiment with innovative
instructional methods.  Students also had to take a freshman orientation and
advisement course on study skills and adjustment to college life.  Each
campus developed its own variation on how they structured their program and
delivered the instruction.  At the end of the program the students retook
the proficiency test in the subject they studied.  Depending on the nature
of the local program, some students could take more than one area in the
summer--e.g. some programs offered integrated reading and writing or two
consecutive summer sessions.

The evaluation results showed that, university-wide, 2/3 of the students
saved at least one remedial course from the fall semester by participating
in the program.  Followup showed that they earned more credits later than
nonparticipants, but we were unable to separate the self-selection factor
from the effects of the program.  However, most people felt the program
served a valuable purpose for the students able to take advantage of it and
saved them time by getting some of their requirements over early.  The
program also serves a social function by helping new freshmen to meet other
freshmen in the small classes and, in some cases, in organized social
activities.

It is a fair question whether the shorter session results in less depth of
learning, even if students pass the proficiency test.  I didn't have data on
that--but in my current role as statistics instructor, I also find that
students going through the full semester instruction don't always emerge
prepared for college-level courses, even after passing the proficiency test.
Perhaps other listers can comment on this.

Annette Gourgey