Dear Colleagues,
    Recently, we at The University of Texas at Brownsville and Texas
Southmost College (UTB/TSC) ran right into a question I'm sure plagues
many of our campuses: who, if anyone, should help students answer
questions about literature?  Should helping literature students be the
responsibility of Writing tutors? Reading tutors?  Should the
responsibility be left to the professor?  We at the UTB/TSC Learning
Assistance Center are strictly opposed to providing students with
personal interpretations and/or summaries of literary works, but there
are many students who just need to know they are on the right track.
What help would be appropriate to provide these students and who should
provide it?  All responses will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you for
your time.
Daniel J. Perez
SI Coordinator