I guess much has to do with your context.  Our students are required to get an instructor's signature if they want peer tutoring.  We have professinal tutors they can see on a drop-in basis for which no signatures are required.  It hasn't slowed the stream of requests for peer tutors at all.  Instructors sign the requests routinely.  We "sell" the process by telling students that instructors need to know who has learning concerns so they can address anything wrong within the class, and that they get "brownie" points for being proactive about addressing their concerns with us.

Rika Snip
The Learning Centre @ LCC
Lethbridge Community College
Lethbridge, AB