Lorraine-
You would be amazed at how many "academics" and some on this list serv I imagine
"dodged" the vietnam war and military service in general.  They didn't want to
stick their necks out and possibly die.  However,  it was good enough for the
others who did-President Clinton is an example of this. At least Al Gore went to
war even as a "reporter."  Any job no matter what, serves to serve your
country.  Many  take from the country but don't want to give back to it.  I wish
all Americans be they men or women would serve the country and if the French do
this and believe this then Viva La France.
Helen Sabin

Helen