Hi, Listers--
I'm looking for suggestions to help a colleague who is frustrated in his
first semester teaching an online Eng. 102 class.  (This course
emphasizes--but is not limited to--research/documentation, analysis,
argumentation, etc.)  He informed the students at the beginning that
they needed to be very familiar with e-mail, the internet, and computers
in general; could expect to spend 7-10 hrs. weekly working on
assignments; had to be able to work independently and to follow written
instructions, etc. Instead of attracting good students who, for whatever
reason, would prefer to take the course in this format, the course seems
to have attracted students who are not only lacking in computer ability
but also in writing ability.  They seem to have chosen this format to
distance themselves from the instructor.  And, group work has all but
fallen apart. My friend is now wondering if there shouldn't be some sort
of screening process before students can enroll in an online writing
class.  Has anyone had any success with these courses?  Suggestions?
Thanks!