Larry,
We see both situations.  When we offered tutoring for social science courses, we had very little reponse to utilizing those tutors.  We dropped funding for those areas and concentrated on courses with higher numbers of students requesting assistance.  Those individuals that come into our program need help with how to more effectively and efficiently prepare for social science classes (study skills).  However, the social science programs offer their own resource centers where students come to get help with course concepts.  For example, some individuals find it very difficult to understand the idea of "conditioned responses" and other related psychology concepts.

Carolyn DeLorme, Director
University Learning Center
University of North Dakota
P.O. Box 7124
Grand Forks, ND  58202
Office:  (701)777-4406
FAX:  (701)777-3397

>>> Larry Arrington <[log in to unmask]> 10/27/00 08:33AM >>>
I'd like to know if there are any strong opinions or observations regarding the need / usefulness of Social Sciences tutors (Psych, Soc, Hist, etc.) in a college learning center environment.  It seems that some people believe that assistance for students in these courses is mainly study skills / writing related vs. actual content area....while others feel that the material / concepts need to be addressed for some students.

Larry Arrington
Director of Learning Assistance Lab
MCCC - Blue Bell, PA