Here's a hint:
When you are ordering materials, avoid companies that don't take credit
cards, purchasing cards, or purchase orders. Last spring I ordered some
materials from a company that didn't take POs, credit cards, or purchasing
cards, and it was a nightmare. Penn State paid for the materials by check
in March, and the materials were so late arriving (2 days before my
scheduled tutor training on August 20) that I couldn't use them this year.
They now are just taking up space.

The company lied to me every time I tried to check on the order (like in
the movie, "The Money Pit," they kept telling me it would be two weeks...).
When I tried to cancel the order, the company refused to cooperate,
claiming all kinds of copyright issues because they had sent me a copy of
the trainer's packet for a previous edition.

End result: There is a warning in Penn State's system. If anyone requests a
check to order from this company, the purchasing office will intervene.

If I ever see my college's name on the company's promotional materials, you
can bet I will make a fuss.

Good luck,
Paula

At 09:23 AM 10/02/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>--------------9DEB8BC6929A2031F20661F6
>
>I don't do a credit-bearing course, but
>
>MacDonald, Ross B. The Master Tutor: A Guidebook for More Effective Tutoring,
>2nd Ed. Williamsville, NY: Cambridge Stratford Study Skills Institute, 2000.
>
>is really good.
>
>email: [log in to unmask]
>
>Steve Runge
>
>Teresa Hoercher wrote:
>
> > I would like to post the following questions regarding tutor training:  For
> > those institutions that provide tutor training as a credit course ,have you
> > adopted a textbook for this course?
> >
> > Teresa

__________
Paula Ford
Coordinator, Learning Resources Center
Penn State--Altoona College
3000 Ivyside Park
Altoona, PA 16601
voice: (814) 949-5112
fax:    (814) 949-5547

http://www.personal.psu.edu/staff/p/x/pxf3/
http://www.psu.edu/dept/altoonalrc/altlrc.html
http://www.aa.psu.edu/academic/

"Den som har drømt Udfærd og Dåd senker ej Sejl uden med Sorg." Bjørnson