When I started my job as Tutor Coordinator at Frederick Community College, I inherited a system where students who wanted 1:1 tutoring are required to first get their instructor's written permission. The reasons given for this were that:
1. instructors could insure that students were first using department resources such as office hours
2. students could not use tutoring as a substitute for attending class
3. staff could "distinguish those students who are truly in need of tutorial services" as the tutoring budget was not bottomless

I am taking this issue to our advisory board as I would like to remove this stipulation for various reasons. I would welcome any feedback on the pros/cons of asking for instructor's signatures. Do any other colleges require this for 1:1 tutoring? We don't require signatures for drop-in or online tutoring.

Thanks for your input.

Julie Shattuck
Program Manager, Tutorial Services
(301) 846 2523