In our math tutorial lab at Utah Valley State College we offer drop in tutoring 64 hours a week.  We usually have 4 tutors working at one time and they often have a hard time keeping up with the questions.  We have one tutor designated for 1:1 tutoring.  We can only afford to schedule her 1:1 tutoring for 12 hours a week, as there is no budget for 1:1 tutoring.  The demand for 1:1 tutoring far exceeds the supply.  Therefore we require an instructor to sign a form that states, in addition to the criteria used at FCC, that the student is failing math in spite of making a concerted effort to succeed.  I liken this to putting an ambulance at the bottom of a cliff instead of a barrier at the top, but it's the best we can do.  The students also must sign a contract that they will, in essence, cherish their tutoring priviledges by always attending class, doing homework.  Also, if they no-show 3 times for a tutoring appointment they lose tutoring priviledges.

I wish we could provide 1:1 tutoring more freely, but we can't.  I think the criteria that would determine whether or not to require a student's signature would be whether or not you can handle the demand that will come if a signature is not required.