From: James Valkenburg [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, October 27, 2000 10:02 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Social Sciences Tutoring

Larry,

    Academic support should be available to everyone across the curriculum.  In my estimation, tutoring in the Social Sciences and Humanities is as difficult as tutoring Math or Science.  When I began my trek to administration as a "lowly" tutor of Humanities and Social Science, I always tried to help students learn how to learn while we worked on content.  After twenty years in the business, I have found only more evidence

that both content and study/learning skills are essential to help students.  It's hard to isolate "causes" of a student's difficulty with content.  Who's to say what "The" most important course should be.

    I'll offer a closely related topic -- Learning Styles and What the heck to do with them.  Many instructors are opposed to the concept of identifying learning styles since, to them, there are many other content related issues that are more important -- the lack of basic reading skills, for instance.  Others contend that telling a student his/her learning style will turn them off to using other modes of learning and possibly

disregard other important basic skills issues.  What I try to do is show students that while they have a preferred learning style, they should try to link that style to others to help them remember AND access information at a later date.  I try not to dwell on preferred styles alone.  [I also tell them that the instructor also has a preferred style and that as students they should try to accommodate that style as much as

possible.]