While on a kayak trip to east cape sable in Everglades National Park, I
observed a Lesser Nighthawk for several minutes just after sunset.  The bird
was feeding just above the sea oats and scrub right next to the beach.
There was still enough light to see the buffy underwings, especially when it
flew to within 15 feet of me.  Last year Lesser Nighthawks also frequented
the eco pond area, so I will keep my eyes open and post any sightings.
Other birds of note in the beach area were a Great-horned Owl , a Peregrine
Falcon going after some shorebirds, and a Magnificent Frigatebird.
If you plan to visit the Flamingo area to bird, I would encourage everyone
to stop in the visitor center and ask to read the bird log, and of course
feel free to enter any sightings you may have.

CJ Grimes
Park Ranger/Naturalist
Everglades National Park (Flamingo District)