Hello:
-I applaud Bob Henderson's poignant remarks regarding all the spam and hate
mail that followed my original post, for it was these posts that may cloud
our image with naturalists nationally.  Secondly, where is the line drawn...
the post regarding cerulean warbler protection is, in my view, extremely
relevant to birders (Evidently GA birders think so).  Is our list more about
where we can "check off" cerulean warblers, and less about their protection
and our future enjoyment of them?  Perhaps the list should serve both
purposes.  Lastly, given the sensitivity of many list members, our list
should probably be moderated.
-Of more immediate concern... The long keys hawk migration is slowly coming
to a close with mostly turkey vultures moving through now.  However, we have
managed to capture other species at the banding station including kestrel,
sharp-shinned, cooper's, broad-winged, and red-shouldered.  It's been a
productive autumn!

>Florida Keys Raptor Migration Project Count Update
>
>The count takes place from the side of the restroom
>facilities of Curry Hammock State Park, Marathon,
>Florida.  Curry Hammock is located off of U.S. 1, at
>Mile Marker 56.
>The count began September 15, and will run until
>November 15, two weeks longer than last year.  The
>count begins at 9:00am and will run until at least
>5:00pm.
>
>I will be posting weekly updates here, but daily
>totals can be seen at Birdsourceís Fall Hawkwatch web
>page (birdsource.tc.cornell.edu/HawkWatchResults).
>
>We welcome our newest replacement counter, Gerard
>Phillips of Cato, New York.
>
>Two big highlights this week: an ALBINO/LEUCISTIC
>TURKEY VULTURE and the countís first BLACK VULTURE.
>The TV was first seen on 10/28, heading south in a
>kettle.  It was also seen on 10/29, heading north; and
>later back south.  It was then seen again on 10/30,
>heading north.  We were originally calling it an
>albino, but after closer looks the second day, we are
>leaning towards it being leucistic.  Itís body
>feathers were not pure white, but slightly sandy.
>Only its outer primaries were truly pure white.  Itís
>head was light pink (paler than your average TV).
>       The BLACK VULTURE was first seen on 10/30, heading
>north as well (alone), then back south with a small
>group of TVs.  It was also seen the next day, heading
>south, by itself. And, once again it was seen, heading
>back south (when did it go north, or was this a second
>bird????) on 11/1.  Although common in South Florida,
>they are very rarely seen in the keys.  It had not
>been recorded on our count . . .until now.
>

>WEEK SEVEN TOTALS:
>October 28 Ė November 3.
>
>                       Season Total    Season Total
>Species        GROSS   NET     GROSS   NET     High Count
turkey vulture
>TV     7628    5016    11049   6247    2791: 10/28
black vulture
>BV     3       1       3       1       2: 10/30
osprey
>OS     46      30      1167    963     171 10/5
bald eagle
>BE     5       3       17      11      2 10/7
mississippi kite
>MK     0       0       13      13      5: 9/15+10/1
swallow-tailed kite
>SK     0       0       4       4       1: 4 Dates
northern harrier
>NH     63      55      481     441     61 10/6
sharp-shinned hawk
>SS     302     50      5519    3477    760 10/16
cooper's hawk
>CH     89      51      1003    655     114 10/8
red-shouldered hawk
>RS     7       1       55      11      8 10/18
broad-winged hawk
>BW     361     -39     3994    1728    399 9/25
red tailed hawk
>RT     0       0       0       0       0
swainson's hawk
>SW     83      15      126     40      46: 11/3
short-tailed hawk
>ST     5       3       32      12      3 10/15
american kestrel
>AK     137     89      3165    2693    651 10/6
merlin
>ML     13      9       631     403     56 10/7
peregrine falcon
>PG     14      8       2032    1738    357 10/8
unidentified