We studied and photographed at close range a very cooperative GROOVE-BILLED
ANI at St. Marks NWR this afternoon between 2:30 and 3 pm.  This bird was
first reported Thursday by Dave Harder and Tom Curtis.  Today the ani was in
the ditch immediately North of the NW corner of Stoney Bayou Pool 2, right
at the junction of the Mounds/Stoney Bayou north dike and the Florida Trail
(behind marker #106).  This is quite a bit closer to the lighthouse road
than where Dave and Tom had it Thurs.  However, the ani either moves widely,
frequently, along this mile-long pool or hunkers down in heavy vegetation,
as we saw no sign of it there an hour later.

Still not many ducks in evidence, but the SORAs were out everywhere, quite a
few GODWITs, and a WHIMBREL near the lighthouse, and new signs of winter...
a quick scan of Apalachee Bay around sunset turned up at least 60 COMMON
LOONs and several HORNED GREBEs.  Also, a nice flock of WILD TURKEYs on Plum
Orchard Trail behind the visitors' center.

Brad Bergstrom, [log in to unmask]
Margaret Harper, [log in to unmask]
Valdosta, GA