Being a transplanted New Yorker, I'm not sure if this will be anywhere as
interesting to you old Florida hands as it was exciting to me, but while
scoping out "All of the Usual Suspects" at North Beach on Fort Desoto Beach
yesterday afternoon I almost skipped by a "Whimbrel" (There were 4 others as
well as a slew of Marble Godwits) when I remembered that the bird I had just
seen HAD NO STRIPES ON ITS HEAD.   A quick look back also showed me a pair of
pale blue-grey legs and a HUGE evenly down turned bill with a definite
pinkish tone to the base of the lower mandible.   For me it was a Florida 1st
and life time 2nd.  My earlier views had been at  a much less satisfying
longer distance in Central Oklahoma a few years ago.   How often do they
wander east?   NGS says "rare" visitor to East Coast by rare has a lot of
different meanings to different birders.

Sorry to be a day late in posting but I have been away from the machine for
two days.

Dick Beeler
Cape Coral, FL