> Greetings to all,
> Mike Manetz, Lloyd Davis and I searched FT Desoto today from 7:30 am until
> 4;30 PM for the Heermann's Gull to no avail.

I was wondering who that was! I saw you guys but was unable to catch up to
you as we were having an Ice Cream crisis (the chocolate fell off of our
Nestle Crunch on a stick!!!... very traumatic for a 2 year old!) Austin and
I also made a not so thorough attempt to no avail today from near 2:00 PM to
4:30 PM. Most interesting sightings were a lone BN Stilt at the East Beach
turn around and what appeared to be a Yellow Kingbird of sorts that flew
acros the road near the East Beach Woods and disappeared below tree line in
the vicinity of the maintenance road opposite. We never got another glimpse
of the bird.

Of note to the locals and others who may be in search of this bird, I ran
into a local who asked me what I was looking for. I explained a rare Gull
had been around .... Blah, blah, blah! At any rate, much to my surprise he
asked, "Is it a very dark gull above and below, that might look like a
melanistic Herring Gull?" I was shocked but admitted that yes that sounds
like the bird. Then he said to his partner, 'I bet that's the bird we've
been seeing at Treasure Island Beach' and said that he used to bird whe he
was younger but had been out of it for a while.

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the surrounding area, but he said he had
seen the bird twice over the past week "looking very out of place" at the
south end of Treasure Island Beach (presumably near by) and I believe he
mentioned just south of Central (if that makes sense?!?...) Perhaps one of
the local birders could follow up on that and let us know if there is
anything to it. Or certainly others that may be wanting to make a go of it
this weekend could keep the idea in their back pockets should they strike
out at the Fort.

Good luck all,

Jeff Bouton
Port Charlotte, FL