Hi all,
I'm house-sitting in Pinecrest for my boss, and have been in awe of all the bird activity early in the morning here (albeit half are exotics)! She rents a house in a mamey grove owned by her landlord with very "flower conscious" neighbors on two sides. This morning there were two northern orioles, 3+ ruby-throated hummers, a bazillion palm warblers, 3 red-whiskered bulbuls, 10 hill mynas, flocks of monk and canary-winged parakeets, and a very rufous looking hummer! The hummer in question was surely an adult female (possessing the orange-red throat spot) but I didn't get a good enough study of bill and tail length to put a positive ID to it. I hope it will return tomorrow when I will have the camera all set up. If anyone has some good jizz-characteristics to help me out, it would be greatly appreciated. I wonder if anyone else is watching all the hummer activity in this neighborhood- with all the orchid-trees and silk-floss trees in flower I've been noticing quite high numbers of "nectar bandits" flying overhead!

on another note: I recently received my pictures from Snake Bight and have a questionable bird in one of them. I'd like to advise anyone heading out (preferably by canoe) to study the Marbled Godwits with great care (apparently I didn't use enough since I can't give you a positive ID on the one I saw!). I've got a bunch of work to do before Wednesday- but hopefully then I can scan in the slide and send it via email. The bird in question is blurred (it was preening) but we've narrowed it down to either a Whimbrel or a Bar-tailed Godwit. As per the Sibley guide, I'm leaning toward Bar-tailed. Don't take me on this one though, it's still premature- but I am told that the Godwits tend to head out of here by early December and I wanted anyone who might venture down there to be on the lookout. (I hope I don't catch too much flack for this one).
good birding!
David LaPuma