Last Monday, while traversing the traditional stomping grounds of the Sprague's pipit, I flushed a bird that appeared to be my quarry.  It had the white outer tail feathers of a pipit and it was definitely not a Savannah sparrow.  It made a strange call that didn't seem right for a pipit.  I also noticed a patched of white in the wings as it flew.  It situated itself between me and the sun and then flew back and forth across the sun several times until I lost track of it.  It probably came back down, but I was not able to flush it again.  After consulting my guide I confirmed my suspicion that it was a longspur.

David Simpson
Sebastian, FL