Mike and I arrived at the east beach parking lot late this morning.  The birders staked out there hadn't seen the Heerman's yet.  Passing rangers said that there was a report from the far end by the lagoon.  Scott, from Gainesville and Peter Greenspun headed down with us to see if we would get lucky.  There was a Herring Gull in the water, but no Heermann's.  The lagoon did feature a Roseate Spoonbill, Reddish Egret, and White phase Little Blue among others.  We headed back to the parking lot, as we neared the picnic area, Mike picked up our bird flying in.    We got our Heemann's Gull at 11:45 am.  It stayed alongside a Brown Pelican for a while in the water.  When it rose and flew off, it flew back down to the lagoon area!  The gull seemed a little skittish, but we had a great view despite the haze.  A quick trip to the North Beach gave us Marbled Godwits, Avocet, Oystercatcher, and Skimmers among the other shorebirds.  We managed to make it back for the second half of the Bucs game. No complaints from Mike.

Good luck to all those who are still trying!

Alison and Mike Bishop
Sarasota, FL