Simon -

Some things to think about....

What is the reality of the situation - are they keeping more in electronic
format or do you have two complete parallel record series - same
information in two formats?

Are the elctronic records scheduled?  And if so, do your records centre
facilities have the capability to store electronic records properly?

When scheduling these two series, the records schedule can be the mechanism
for determining the "official copy".

No answers, just some questions that came to mind...

Cheers!

Mark

At 03:21 PM 11/17/2000 -0000, you wrote:
>Last month i wrote asking fellow listservers advice on E Record Policies and
>was given some very helpful advice. Thanks to all those who took part in the
>very fruitful discussion that followed my query.
>
>However, I have met with some resistance to the part of the policy which
>states, that 'in the absence of reliable electronic record keeping systems
>staff are to print and file a hardcopy of the electronic documents....'
>
>My problem is this:
>
>One of the departments that i am currently working with holds policy records
>in paper files and electronically on the departmental workspace (P Drive). I
>was told that asking this dept's staff to print and file all their policy  e
>records was a retrograde step. The particular dept concerned is very keen to
>conduct all their business electronically and are very reluctant to follow
>print to hardcopy.
>
>Does anybody have any solutions to my problem?
>
>Do I:
>*       Insist that they keep the official record in paper
>*       Carry on using a combination of paper and e records. I which case in
>what form should the e record be stored when they cease to be current?
>Stored on the server? Converted to PDF and stored on CD?
>*       Switch completely over to e records using MS Windows Explorer as the
>management system
>
>Many thanks
>
>Simon McKeon
>Records Manager
>Independent Television Commission
>33 Foley Street, London, W1W 7TL
>Tel: 020 7306  7781 Fax: 020 7306 7800
>www.itc.org.uk mailto:[log in to unmask]

>"This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and
addressed.  This footnote also confirms that this email message has been
swept by MIMEsweeper for the presence of computer viruses".