"The information that must be provided is specified by statute and includes
the SSN, name, and address together with the name and address of the
borrower."  "The information is a public record and is subject to the open
records requirements of the state."

This is where state laws differ.  In Virginia, the SSN (especially matched
with a name and address) would be considered exempt from FOIA.  I agree with
your observation that "the issue here is not whether the information can put
on an internet site, but rather should it."  However, IF the info is
"producable" under a FOIA, then we, as records practioners in the public
sector, cannot decide ourselves that we should or shouldn't produce it.
And, for all intents and purposes, posting to an internet site would be the
same as producing the info for a FOIA or other public request.

Ginny Jones
(Virginia A. Jones, CRM, MIT/LIT)
Newport News Waterworks
Newport News, VA